The spirit of Pride continues to live on in our LGBTQ community’s resilience in the fight for equality. This year GRIOT Circle celebrates its 25th anniversary. In 1996, with little to no affirming centers, Regina Shavers and others saw the need to affirm the lives of LGBTQ older adults of color. Today we continue to lift the lived experiences of our members and to make sure their voices are not only heard but woven within our mission.
Our theme this year is $25 for 25, in recognition of our 25th anniversary. No matter how much you can support us, let it end with $5!!
As the city works toward recovery during this pandemic, we know that once it's over LGBTQ seniors will still face challenges such as inequalities, isolation and depression, inadequate healthcare, and once again, invisible to society.
Support us as we help our members overcomes these challenges. No amount is too small. Although financial support often goes to youth communities, at this time we also hope you realize that those same youth will be older adults and may be unprepared for the challenges they may face. Today, by supporting GRIOT Circle you're not only making a progressive move, but you're also creating a solid foundation for their future.
During this time, GRIOT is working to make sure that our members:
1) have food to eat by facilitating and coordinating access to meals,
2) are socially connected via our numerous virtual programming opportunities-including the Women’s Support Group, Men’s Group, Book Club and Spanish Class.
3) receive a minimum of two bi-weekly - more as needed - supportive calls by our staff,
4) have a daily call-in group chat facilitated by staff,
5) have the resources that they need by staff linking them to local food pantries, emergency tele-health services and online activities, and
6) have access to our vetted volunteers that can make additional telephone reassurance calls.
There remains so much more to be done by us to combat the food insecurities, financial hardships, and a deeper sense of isolation that our members are experiencing.
The GRIOT Circle family thanks you from the bottom of our hearts for your support of one of our most precious human resources - our LGBTQ elders of color.